What is the Mediterranean Diet?
Would you like to meet the most accepted, healthiest diet model on the basis of healthy food and diversity in the world: It is Mediterranean Diet!
This diet will definitely change your eating habits in a short time and will help you lose weight in a healthy way.
Mediterranean Diet contains low amounts of saturated fat and high amounts of vegetable oils. It is known to be widely practiced in Greece and Southern Italy in the 1960s.
Health Organization of Harvard University then examined in 1993 and recommended this diet for the treatment of many diseases. The basis of this diet is the most popular ingredients of Mediterranean cuisine. High amounts of olive oil, olive, bread with sourdough, fruits with low sugar, green leafy vegetables, whole grains, legumes, fish have an important place in this diet. Especially fish is a must.
On the other side, consumption of red meat and meat products is low. The diet uses herbs and spices instead of salt to flavour meals and of course highly recommends regular exercises.
Benefits of Mediterranean Diet
The studies made so far revealed the following results:
- Nutritional components of Mediterranean Diet have protective effects on head, neck, breast and digestive related cancers.
- High compliance with this diet decreased urea and creatine levels which means this diet supports kidney health.
- Mediterranean diet significantly reduces waist width. In another saying, it helps prevent obesity.
- High consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables reduces the risk of uncontrolled respiratory diseases.
- Tyrosol and hydroxytyrosol which olive oil naturally contains, may be useful in preventing Alzheimer’s.
The richness of unsaturated fatty acids in Mediterranean diet, consumption of antioxidant sources and high fiber content prevent many diseases from digestive system-related to brain health.
This diet also runs the intestines regularly and eliminates digestive troubles. Moreover, it helps you lose weight fast and lower high blood pressure and bad cholesterol.
Since olive oil has a key role in Mediterranean diet, it is recommended especially for patients with heart disease such as arteriosclerosis and atherosclerosis. In addition, as consumption of milk and dairy products is low in this diet, people who have lactose allergy can easily go on Mediterranean diet.