We all need a good night’s sleep, but there are a few things you can do to make sure you get it. Here are some tips:
- Avoid stimulants such as caffeine, nicotine and alcohol before bedtime. As much as we might like them, they tend to keep us up and make it harder to fall asleep.
- Stick to an evening ritual—a few minutes of reading before bed is enough to relax your mind and body, but you also want to avoid watching TV before bed because it can cause insomnia (and also doesn’t allow you time for a relaxing ritual). Instead, try reading for 15 minutes at least once per week.
- If possible, try sleeping in on Sundays so that the weekend is less stressful and more relaxing—as well as giving yourself time to wind down from the stressors of work weekdays!
- Take your yoga mat and put it in the closet.
- Buy some candles, turn on music, and light them up! It’ll be like you’re at home in bed, but without the responsibilities of being a responsible adult.
- Eat some ice cream (or another treat) while listening to some relaxing music…and then go to sleep!
- Make your bed with a fresh set of sheets (or use an old favorite).