What is the best pregnancy diet plan ? What foods do I have to eat during pregnancy? What are the Foods to avoid during pregnancy? These are the questions that comes to mind as soon as you know that you are pregnant, you realize that you should change your diet in the next 9 months. In this post, we will try to give some hints and professional advices on nutrition in pregnancy, breastfeeding and infant nutrition. We will try to explain what foods you cannot eat and what foods we recommend to enhance during pregnancy stage. Here are some example of pregnancy foods;
Prohibited foods during pregnancy
It is not always easy to start a diet and put aside your habits and have a healthy pregnancy diet plan. However, when it comes to the health of the future baby, this “diet” will definitely be much easier:
- Firstly, sausages or cold cuts; you must avoid sausages such as ham, fuet, salami, loin, mortadella, etc. The list can be endless because there is a wide variety of sausages that change depending on your lifestyle.
- Raw and unpasteurized milk: you must avoid a toxiinfection by listerioris and therefore it is important to avoid consuming unpasteurized milk.
- Raw, smoked, pickled or marinated fish: if you don’t think you can survive without eating Raw Fish During these months, you can eat it raw after freezing it at -20 degrees (be careful, many freezers do not reach that temperature) for a minimum of 5 days.
- Fish containing mercury can be added to this list. These are fish such as swordfish, tuna, shark, pike, etc. This is because the consumption of mercury can cause neuronal damage in the fetus.
- Just like unpasteurized milk, you must also avoid from cheeses made with fresh unpasteurized milk. As we mentioned in the case of milk, it is important to check on the label that the dairy has been made with “pasteurized milk“.
- You can have a moderate caffeine consumption: 200mg / day max. So, at most you could consume two coffees a day. Nutritionists recommend substituting coffee for decaffeinated coffee, which will give you the flavor and aroma of this drink.
- You should not consume alcohol.
- Raw egg or raw egg preparations: preparations such as homemade mayonnaise, carbonara-style sauces, homemade tiramisu, etc.
Healthy foods during pregnancy; what should you eat during pregnancy?
During pregnancy there will not only be restrictions. In fact, there are many healthy foods that we recommend promoting at this stage:
- Let’s start with folic acid. Folic acid is mainly important in the first trimester of pregnancy. It is present in green leafy vegetables, legumes, fruits and nuts.
- Calcium: dairy, enriched vegetable drinks or toasted sesame.
- Always include foods rich in fiber. Fiber contributes to the prevention of constipation that can occur during this stage. Fiber is present in fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts and legumes.
- Do not forget Iodine! It is present in iodized salt, fish and shellfish, dairy.
- You can consume healthy fats during pregnancy. Healthy fats present in olive oil, nuts, salmon, sardines, etc.
- Iron: we find this nutrient in foods such as legumes, fish, mollusks, eggs or red meat.
- Good protein intake: do not neglect the protein intake, be it of plant origin, introducing legumes, such as those of animal origin, in the case of eggs, fish, meat or dairy products.
- Drink water and be sure of good hydration. You should drink minimum 2L a day (approximately 8 glasses).
In this article; we tried to find answers for the following questions; What are good pregnancy foods, what are the foods to avoid during pregnancy, and what does typical pregnancy diet plan include?.